Canadian Museum for Human Rights, Winnipeg
Embracing Challenges, Unlocking Opportunities
Co-hosted by Manitoba Opera on the occasion of the production of Li Keur: Riel’s Heart of the North, a new work of music and theatre written and conceptualized by Métis poet/librettist Dr. Suzanne Steele (Gaudry/Fayant), with music by Métis composer/fiddler Alex Kusturok and composer Neil Weisensel.
Join Association for Opera in Canada for the annual opera summit co-hosted by Manitoba Opera as we delve into the complex trends affecting the future of Canadian opera; shifting demographics, rising inflation, changing audience behaviours and attitudes, human resource shortages, and the looming triple threat to public, earned and contributed revenues.
The opera sector and indeed all the live performing arts, stand at a crossroads, where the need to amplify our role within the community, champion social justice, and make captivating art with the power to shape and shake audiences has never been more vital, but also never more challenging.
At this year’s Opera Summit, we embrace the notion that every challenge is accompanied by an equal or greater opportunity. Together, we’ll harness our collective efforts to shape a vibrant collective future. Our agenda encompasses:
- Balancing Civic Impact and Financial Priorities: Striking a harmonious equilibrium between financial sustainability and our commitment to civic impact.
- Transforming the Art/Artistic Experience to meet Audience Demand: Understanding and addressing the dynamic needs and desires of audiences, crafting captivating experiences that leave lasting impressions and engage new and diverse audiences.
- Succession Planning and Fostering the Next Generation of Leadership: Exploring innovative strategies and insights to prepare, empower and promote emerging leaders to ensure the future vitality and success of the art form, the sector and its people.
- Concurrent sessions for Small and Indie producers, the Artist as Community Catalyst, Social Finance in the Arts and International Market opportunities
Stay tuned for updates on our distinguished lineup of speakers, interactive sessions, and networking opportunities.
Early Bird Registration $375 / person (Early Bird ends October 22, 2023)
Regular Registration $450
– Opening Reception
– Catered Lunches and Coffee Breaks
– A tour of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights
– Some bus transportation
Opera Artists (No-Frills Registration): A small number of complimentary no-frills opera artist registrations will be available. No-frills registration does not include the opening reception, catered meals*, provided transportation, or tour of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights. (Click here to add yourself to the no-frills waitlist, and we will be in touch with you shortly.)
Who should attend?
- Opera companies and their staff and board
- Opera artists
- Agents and managers, and other sector support services and businesses
- Educational institutions – opera schools and performance training programs, and their students and faculty.
- We welcome international member organizations of OPERA America, Opera Europa, and Opera Latinoamerica
50% off Adult Tickets (Excluding D Section and 2nd Balcony)
Wednesday, November 22, 2023 7:00 PM
Use Coupon Code: Summit
Or contact the box office at 204-944-8824 or email email@example.com
BOOK YOUR HOTEL
Fort Garry Hotel
Deadline: October 22, 2023
Click Here to Book
We hope to see you there!