Update October 27: This deadline has been extended to November 1
Continuing a Canadian Partnership begun last year by Montréal’s Musique 3 Femmes, Association for Opera in Canada has been invited to program a small juried showcase at OPERA America’s New Works Forum 2023.
See more about the New Works Forum
As the culmination of this first 3-year cycle of our Azrieli Foundation-funded Pitch New Works program, this showcase opportunity will focus on new works at late stage development, beyond the initial workshop phase, which have not yet had their first production.
Who / What is this opportunity for?
- The creative team or producing company of this work must be a member of Association for Opera in Canada, and at least one composer or librettist must be Canadian or hold Canadian Permanent Residency.
- Works of all scales are eligible (from main stage works of large companies, to small scale works by independent creators).
- Works should be Live, or contain a significant Live component.
- The creative teams or producing company of the work must be a member of the Association for Opera in Canada. (Sign up as a member here.)
- An emphasis will be placed on works by Equity-Deserving creative teams.
- You should be seeking the following opportunities in the United States of America: Co-production, Production, Presentation, or Touring.
- Past participants in AOC’s Pitch New Works program are eligible to apply.
- This will be a non-staged or semi-staged piano / vocal showcase.
- Each showcase will be of 15 minutes duration, including get-in and get-out.
- As this event is embedded within OPERA America’s New Works Forum, OPERA America is generously contributing in cash and in kind to the costs incurred by AOC for this showcase.
- OPERA America is also hosting a reception, to which all participating companies and artists will be invited.
- Association for Opera in Canada is able to provide a $2500 CAD honorarium to contribute to your expenses, provided after the event.
- Participating companies are responsible for travel, accommodation, and contracting their own artists, and for production of their own showcase slot.
How many works will be showcased?
How will the selection be made?
An external jury with knowledge of the opera production landscape in the United States of America will be engaged to assess applications.
Deadline for application
November 1, 2023
November 15, 2023
Please pose your questions regarding this program via the form at this link: (Click Here). We will aim to get back to you within 2 business days.
Our thanks to Azrieli Foundation, and to OPERA America for their support on this project.